Anybody home?

Developer
Dec 12, 2008 at 12:06 AM
Gents, (and Ladies)
let's get this show on the road, shall we?

Comments from my side (from reading through other posts):
  1. using 3rd part controls would certainly be cool (in addition to visually appealing), but - at least for the most part - IMHO require a complete redesign from the ground up. Why don't we just use the existing framework (aka SampleProvisioningUI) as a basis for a version 1.0 and take it from there? Once we have added all the "missing" features it should be a lot easier to port it/transform it to other controls.
  2. Silverlight: nice and flashy, but in my mind rather unnecessary. This is intended to be a control panel with delegated administration capabilities, not a Web2.0 showcase. In addition, see 1.
  3. I believe - in lieu of some extesinve documentation of the innards of MPS - we have our work cut out for us with just extending the current status. In addition -> 1.

I'm not trying to step on anyone's toes here - the suggestion are all valid and worth thinking about - just trying to get to some results. After all, the reason (at least one of the reasons) for starting this is to get results without having to pay 10k+ for a "commercial" control panel.

IMHO the SampleProvisioningUI actually gives us a prety nice foundation to work off of. It's modular and faily easy to skin.
Anyway, right now I'm trying to create a Mailbox Management user control and have to confess that I'm running into a couple of roadblocks (-> 3.), so I'd just like to get started .. ;-)

Comments, questions, concerns, complaints welcome!
Rgds,
Marcus.

Developer
Dec 12, 2008 at 8:08 AM

Hi Marcus and All,

I do agree with you that we should get started.

I suggest the following

1. We deside do we start from zero or SampleProvisioningUI
  2. We deside how we plan to execute the project
  3. We have perfect control panel

I have to say I've been engaged to some other projects so I don't have full picture
of what was included in SampleProvisioningUI and what was in MPS WebServices.

So I'm now installing them both to investigate to make grounds for deciding which approach
would be better.

Would it be too optimistic to start assigning task on the first week of 2009?

Regards,

Erkka

Developer
Jan 9, 2009 at 8:02 AM
Hi All,

Have just found this on the asp.net forums and think its pretty interesting & in-line with what we are trying to achieve. 

http://forums.asp.net/p/1368693/2856160.aspx#2856160

Now I agree with the above, its time we get something happening on this project - we need someone to volunteer & take initiative on this and start the ball rolling and the rest of the members to become actively involved in the process.

I have no experience developing nor managing development projects so wouldnt know where to start with the whole thing.
Coordinator
Jan 12, 2009 at 9:22 PM
Hi all,
Sorry for the late reply.  I am glad to see some renewed interest and I will definitely contribute and try to guide to the best of my ability.  There is much to do in a project like this and "getting started" is the hardest part.  I regularly implement MS products for clients and always start with a "braindump" to determine what will best benefit the customer and satisfy their requirements.  99% of the time, ths is the hardest and longest part!  With that in mind, I am going to compile the info/suggestions from all members and update the "software requirements" discussions.  I'll label these so each topic can be discussed.  After I update, everyone can dicuss these requirements and then we can begin.  Sound good?  You'll get an alert when the "Sofware Requirements" is updated.
Steve
Coordinator
Jan 12, 2009 at 11:51 PM
OK, it's coming back to me now and I need help/input.  When I started to update requirements for provisioning, AD comes first.  So what is the first thing you have to do in HMC UI....Create a "Reseller "organization".  When you initialized AD in MPS, you create the inital OU, usually called "hosting".  I undersand this.  But as of now, I have not incorporated resellers.  So how do i do this?...I'm not really looking for the answer to this question explicitly, but for someone to define the use of Organizations and Admin Roles and the new IIW Tenant Model that will eventually replace the consumer organization (below from MS).

"It is recommended that the hosting classic consumer users take advantage of the IIW tenant model instead of the existing consumer model in HMC 4.5. However, we will not remove support for the consumer model from our API set."

So discontinue Consumer Organization?
My main concern is that it seems like MS set this up to work only for hosters that use Resellers??  Hopefully I am wrong.
I'm done rambling, hopefully everyone but me understands these orgs and roles and can explain them in detail.

I'll use the Issue Tracker here to set up a Task....Hopefully someone will vounteer for this
Steve

Feb 12, 2009 at 7:47 PM
Hello guys!

From what i've learned about Provisioning is that it's interesting and there should be an opensource version ready to use, I would like it so i started writing my own MFC C# application. I chose that method because I wanted to learn more about MFC.
I'm setting up a Privisioning enviroment and I'm trying to develop a controlpanel at the same time.

I've been using the provtest.exe as a method of communicating with the MPS server. So I am ready to go and have alot of XML generating code ready to use in webb och MFC application. But what i need is some sort of development enviroment. I'm trying to get a development enviroment with Visualstudio and MPS SDK up but I can't install the MFP.msi.
http://forums.asp.net/p/1370201/2937244.aspx#2937244

So one step to get this going is a development enviroment for me and then we can start rocking! :)

What are happening here?

Developer
Feb 12, 2009 at 11:31 PM
ehh - you probably mean C++, don't you? You are referring to the Foundation Class library, aren't you or am I missing something here?

Rgds - Marcus.
Feb 13, 2009 at 5:05 AM
well no, there is a C# and ASP.NET class for talking to the provisioning systems. There is a SDK aswell so i'm not talking about C++.