General Discussions

Coordinator
Jul 19, 2008 at 3:01 AM
This will serve as the sounding board for ExchangeControl
Developer
Jul 30, 2008 at 6:02 PM

Hey Steve,

Just wanted to draw everyone's attention to the additional Message Boards & Groups out there for this (that I know of)

Google Group: http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft-hosted-messaging--collaboration
Asp.Net Forum: http://forums.asp.net/p/1275638/2524447.aspx
Asp.Net Forum: http://forums.asp.net/t/1276696.aspx

I started the Google Group in an effort to try to reach a few more people that may be interested & maybe Launch something, Steve, with the same idea has come here to code-plex & well, the idea originated from the posts in Asp.Net

Now the trick is to use the various avenues already there to garner support & use codeplex / shared resources from those involved to kick this off & get it running in as short a time as possible.

Developer
Aug 12, 2008 at 9:45 AM

Hey Guys,

I'd like to suggest that we could use 3rd.(Telerik) party controls to speed up the development.
This would make the project pay but compared to commercial CP's it would still be affordable.

Developer
Aug 18, 2008 at 9:55 PM
Have you guys thought about opening the project development up to more than just c#?  For example, I'm currently working on a CP for my company that is 100% PHP based.

I'm not sure how many people would be interested in something like that, but it might make it easier to tie into the ISP hosting user portals that are not Microsoft based. 

Coordinator
Aug 22, 2008 at 7:16 AM

Only reason I would stick to a MS code base is that most people put this on a MPS box or their webserver/sharepoint server and people won't want to put PHP on those boxes as well.

Personally I wouldn't care but it needs to be a standard platfrom.

Developer
Aug 22, 2008 at 2:33 PM
Yeah...I see that point.  But as I recall, PHP is starting to become a welcomed player on Windows 2008.  I haven't seen it in action, but that is what I have heard.

If you guys are interested in eventually having a PHP port, I'd be interested in helping.

Coordinator
Aug 23, 2008 at 1:39 AM
I would like to welcome and thank all the members of our team.  With a special thanks to leonsay,  he could do this by himself, and yet chooses to help, much like he does on ASP.NET Forums. 

This is a "call-to-arms" for everyone on the team (and myself!), The hardest part is getting started, as we all know.  I know everyone has some more suggestions and ideas, please add them.  Don't worry about the structure, I will compile all and repost in an organized manner.

Just a reminder for everyone - Type your posts if they are long in notepad, then copy/paste .  I had a much longer post typed out, hit the button, and codeplex was down.  My Bad.  So, this will be a condensed version....

mpatterson, I probably don't think we would convert many HMC clients due to same reason's as leonsay stated.  But I never turn down an oppurtunity to learn somethin new.  I have no experience with PHP or knowledge worth mentioning.  However, as you know, there are plenty of providers that offer multiple code bases in their offerings.  I am always looking for another "residual stream".  For this project, and the time being, we need to keep the code bases seperate.  Please feel free to join in or work in paralell.

With 3rd party controls, I agree it is so much quicker and simpler to write apps.  Even I can pull off some pretty complicated tasks.  But I don't think we would get the help needed if volunteers had to pay first.  And I am up to my neck in managing licenses already.  I could easily see somebody violating the terms in a "open" environment, and I don't want that somebody to be me...

Again, THANKS!

Steve